Baking soda may not be among the natural cancer cures, but it apparently can boost your health in other ways.
You have probably tried or at least read about the many uses of baking soda. Off the top of my head, I can think of several:
- deodorize refrigerator/freezer
- remove burned spots from pots and pans
- deodorize kitchen trash can
- freshen cat litter box
- remove soap scum from bathtub
- in conjunction with vinegar, clean toilet bowl and garbage disposal
But if you were born after 1940 or so, there’s a good chance you haven’t heard of another use for baking soda: to fend of the cold and flu.
As I point out in this post, the FDA is not at all happy when non-pharmaceutical companies make claims that their products result in any kind of positive health effect. But according to an article on mercola.com, in 1924 Arm and Hammer had a brochure stating
The proven value of Arm & Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda as a therapeutic agent is further evinced by the following evidence of a prominent physician named Dr. Volney S. Cheney, in a letter to the Church & Dwight Company:
“In 1918 and 1919 while fighting the ‘Flu’ with the U. S. Public Health Service it was brought to my attention that rarely any one who had been thoroughly alkalinized with bicarbonate of soda contracted the disease, and those who did contract it, if alkalinized early, would invariably have mild attacks.”
In other words, take baking soda as a supplement and avoid illness. If you do get sick, you can take a certain amount every so many hours and expect to get cured. Knowing that our cells thrive in a slightly alkaline environment, and that an overly-acidic state in the body can lead to sickness and disease, that makes perfect sense.
This same article states the baking soda can even help along the healing of cancer, again because of the alkalizing factor.
But as I read the article, one question loomed large in my mind: wouldn’t it disrupt the workings of the acid in the digestive system? Yes, agreed at least one of the people who commented on the article. They said that for that reason baking soda should not be used on a regular basis.
So, baking soda for the flu and colds? No harm in trying it. Just make sure to use a brand that is for certain aluminum-free (such as Bob’s Red Mill), and not to overdo.
Learn how to keep your immune system at a higher level so you won’t catch illnesses in the first place! Check out my e-book, Weird Health, to find out how. You can download the first few pages for FREE!
The recommended dosages are as follows:
- During the first day [of illness] take six doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at about two hour intervals.
- During the second day take four doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at the same intervals.
- During the third day take two doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water morning and evening, and thereafter half teaspoonful in glass of cool water each morning until cold is cured.
Whatever you decide, may you prosper and be in health!